Thursday, May 18, 2006

Why I'm Not Seeing "The Code"

Da Vinci and his perplexing "code" hits theaters this weekend, and I am sure most of you know the boycott and all the other hubbub going on with it. But I'm not going to see it. Here's why:

It diminishes, distorts, and denies the glory of Jesus Christ and who He is revealed in the Scriptures.

Now I know first and foremost than Dan Brown wrote this little novel to be a piece of "fiction" but as D. James Kennedy once said, "When a lie goes unanswered, it becomes part of people's thinking." That's exactly what is happening with this book/movie.

But the bigger issue to me is that this makes Jesus out to be someone who He isn't. It denies His deity, distorts the cross, and diminishes His resurrection from the dead. And I can't participate in something that cuts right at the truth of the One I seek to honor with all my life. So I'm not going. And that's my answer plain and simple.

You might choose to go, and that's up to you. But I'm not giving Hollywood one cent of my money for propagating a lie about Christ. That's all I have to say about that.

Athanasius

4 comments:

J Crew said...

Boo YAA!!!!

Peter Brown said...

I agree with you. Here is an excellent short Da Vinci vs. th Bible primer. I find it useful when talking to folks about it.

http://www.bible.org/page.asp?page_id=2747

Ando said...

Here's an article from the PD today that my dad was (very) briefly qoted in.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060518/NEWS/605180306/1033/NEWS01

The last line of the article I thought was interesting. Just goes to show that the Gospel is not going to be stopped by some writer/directors efforts.

"But he said the 'Last Temptation' left no lasting impact, and he doubts 'Da Vinci Code' will either."

Pops said...

Totally Legit reason. Kudos to you for taking a stand. Now if only more had the strength to do that maybe Hollywood would change the way they see the viewing public.